Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Creative Suite 5.5 Overview

As promised, I will occasionally bring product reviews related to areas of marketing, photography, advertising, web development, and graphic design. I told myself that I would never have any use for upgrading my software from CS3 to CS5. However, after going in depth with CS5 for the past several months, I am awed at how incredibly powerful Adobe has made this suite.
©2011 www.heliosimaging.com
All Rights Reserved

CS3 to CS5.5 is like a different program altogether. The toolbar is reminiscent of its former self but the tools are incredible and more powerful than ever. Adobe has really out done themselves. Now a moderate user can turn print design or a basic document into powerful media rich web applications in a few short clicks. I say moderate user but if you don't interface with the software on a daily or weekly basis you're gonna find yourself intimidated. Now it will not make you a better designer but the tools and shortcuts are beyond ordinary.

Now you Indesign users out there can build rich animations inside without ever stepping outside of the application itself. This streamlines the entire building, editing, and publishing process thus saving time and money by improving workflow. For me a simpler workflow means fewer mistakes, fewer re-edits and higher output. I can't speak for everyone but my productivity soared. Designing booklets that are interactive with live content in PDF files has been around awhile but Adobe has added animation tools that can be carried directly into web applications from Indesign.

I've spent several months developing the infrastructure for a digital magazine only to discover I need not worry about all the complex coding anymore. Embedding still proves to be a task but developing the GUI is a snap as I design print projects and web projects simultaneously.

In regards to Photoshop the dazzling continues; particularly the new Refine Edge feature I picked up from guru Terry White. This has vastly improved image editing and compositing. We all know how selecting soft and hard edges on a single image can be. Tried compositing hair or making fine color corrections on CS3 or earlier lately? Compare to CS5 right now. The editing apps are starting to keep pace with the improvements in digital imaging technology. Those images I may have tossed out two years ago look like they were shot near perfect straight from the camera (image above); noticeable only by the most advanced or frequent image editor.

©2011 www.heliosimaging.com
All Rights Reserved
This composite was a perfect candidate for the new Refined Edge feature. This may have taken several hours. Possibly a full work day of time took about an hour and a half. I could have spent a few more minutes on edging but either way you count it that's progress.

What hasn't changed is the price tag on this wonderful software. I haven't been able to ignore the price tag and bite the bullet. Yet, I am convinced that the productivity it has brought will justify the price in the long stretch. The downside is the long stretch with anything technology based means that when you're able to afford it or even get acclimated to the program a new one comes out and the kicking yourself starts anew.





No comments:

Post a Comment